Mallard for developers

Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com>
Sun Aug 8 14:21:40 EDT 2010

Hi All,

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org> wrote:

> Hi Elliot,
>
> On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 15:52 -0400, Elliott Sales de Andrade wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to see if I could get some information that I would call
> > "Mallard for developers". The ProjectMallard site is what I would call
> > "Mallard for writers", and the draft spec is "Mallard for Mallard
> > developers". But what I'd like is information for developers of other
> > projects.
> >
> > By "Mallard for developers", I'd like to be able to get the answers to
> > questions like the following:
> > If I wanted to integrate Mallard into a project's build system
> > (autotools, CMake, etc.), what would I do?
> > What's the recommended install location/structure?
> > Where should I point my application's "Help" button?
> > What do I do if I want to target Windows/Mac also?
> > How do I accommodate translations?
> > etc.
>
> These sorts of things depend on the tools you're using
> with Mallard. I think we can aggregate some information
> for known Mallard tools. We just have to think of a good
> way to present that information.
>
> I originally had a page for tools on projectmallard.org,
> but it didn't have any real content on it, so I removed
> it until it does.
>
> Would anybody like to work on this?
>
> --
> Shaun

At this point, RelaxNG code completion / validation support in Linux IDE's
is not so great.  Even in the proprietary world, from what I can tell . . .
only OxygenXML does a good job with supporting RelaxNG (this is only based
on what I have read).  I have a draft note put together about configuring
Emacs nxml-mode for Mallard, and will put it up on my blog this week.  I can
then donate this writing to the Project Mallard site.

That will help out the hackers who aren't afraid of Emacs, but we also need
to bug Paul Cutler to put the finishing touches on his gedit snippets for
Mallard, and to get the word out about them.  They are very handy, and his
work on that is too valuable to be sitting in revision control.  (Note,
there's also the ability to do "snippets" in Emacs, but I haven't dug that
deep yet.)

With regards to developer docs and tools, we need to promote out about the
developer docs / tools hack event in December.  That event is a great
opportunity to get better documentation tool support in GNOME, and we
shouldn't let it pass by.  Getting graphical code completion into something
like Monodevelop, Anjuta, or some other IDE would be very helpful.  (BTW,
I've pinged the GSOC student who is working on the Mallard doc-tool site.
We need to encourage him to not give up.)

Finally, Shaun, I think it would be helpful if you documented the utilities
and processes that are required to convert Mallard documents to HTML.  That
information is too useful to have locked up in your head, too.

Jim