Position of the <comment> tag

Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org>
Thu Oct 10 10:22:34 EDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 21:41 -0500, Kevin Godby wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I ran into a validation error when using the <comment> tag just a
> closing </page> tag (see attached file).  <comment> blocks appear to
> work fine when they're at the top of the page, but xmllint complains
> if they're at the bottom of the page.
>
> Should <comment> work at the bottom of the page?

Sorry for the response delay. This has actually come up quite a few
times, so much so that my Mallard 1.1 TODO list has this:

  "Allow comments in weird places?"

I'm a little surprised at how often people request this. DocBook has the
same restriction on the placement of the remark element, and I've never
seen the same request come up for DocBook. Maybe Mallard people just use
comment more than DocBook people use comment.

At any rate, currently comment is just another block element, which is
why it's not allowed in places you can't put a paragraph. But since
there is no requirement that comment elements be displayed, I don't see
any problems with special-casing it to allow it to be mixed with the
after-section links elements.

This would be a nice simple Mallard Enhancement Proposal. Would anybody
care to write up a MEP for it?

http://projectmallard.org/pipermail/mallard-list/2013-August/000168.html

--
Shaun