Mallard 1.1

Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org>
Thu Mar 1 10:00:52 EST 2018

I plan to release Mallard 1.1 by April. This will likely involve
deferring some issues currently in the 1.1 milestone. For reference,
here is everythhing already implemented for 1.1:

http://projectmallard.org/1.1/changes.html

You can also look at the Mallard 1.1 MEPs:

http://projectmallard.org/mep/index.html

Every open MEP has a GitHub issue, and there are issues without MEPs,
so I'm just going to go thru the issues list. Please give feedback,
either here or on the bugs themselves.

== Let formal blocks be inline link targets

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/41

Defer to 1.2. This is actually a fairly common request, and it's
something worth doing. But it involves a fair amount of tooling work,
as well as changes to the Cache spec.

== type attribute for the code element

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/38

This is actually implemented in yelp-xsl. It works nicely, and feels
especially nice in Ducktype. However, it's been pointed out to me that
I've been inconsistent with when to use a type or style attribute, and
that this might be better as a style attribute. One commenter said he'd
prefer a new lang attribute. I'd love discussion on this to make sure
we do the right thing.

== Fix page/section ID validation for cache files

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/32

This is just schema mechanics. It's done, but needs corresponding
schema changes in the Cache 1.1 schema. No biggie.

== More flexible version attribute

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/27

Defer to 1.2. I actually really like this one, but it needs to be
shaken out with the tool prototypes first. I don't see that happening
in one month's time.

== Add a pkg element

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/25

Defer. There's some interest, but it doesn't block anything.

== Block or desc in links

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/18

Probably defer to 1.2. This is actually not terribly hard to implement,
but it's also not a high priority.

== Add a top-level stack element

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/17

Defer to 1.2. This is another one of my favorites. But it involves
substantial work across the whole stack. (Pun unintentional, but now
that I wrote it, I'm sticking with it.)

== Allow multiple desc elements

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/16

Defer to 1.2. Medium difficulty. I'd actually like to do this alongside
the thumb element, because they'd both use the same lookup system.

== Allow comments in weird places?

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/11

Defer to 1.2. This is a not-uncommon gotcha. But the implementation
needs careful thought.

== Add a keywords element

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/10

Defer to 1.2. This is simple at face value, but maybe we want to
consider doing multiple keywords by type/role.

== Add a th element

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/9

Implement. The code is already in yelp-xsl. Ducktype already has a
shorthand notation for th. This just needs a MEP and a spec. Honestly,
I might just skip the MEP and write the spec.

== Provide a hi or mark element

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/3

This seems silly to defer, given that yelp-xsl has supported the hi
element in the experimental namespace since before Mallard was even
1.0. But if I don't have time to write a MEP and spec, it might just
keep getting bumped.

== Allow roles on sort titles

https://github.com/projectmallard/projectmallard.org/issues/1

Defer to 1.2. Honestly, the spec work holds me up more than the code.
With descs and thumbs and keywords and link titles and sort titles, I
feel like I need to write a more generic description of how to do the
role-based lookup.