Add a div element?

Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com>
Tue Jun 14 17:46:57 EDT 2011

Oops, I meant to reply to all, not just Shaun:

Hey Shaun,

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm toying around with an extension to do expanders for blocks
> and sections.

Ok - I think I remember talking about this. It would allow the user to
expand or hide sections of the documentation, right?

> You can make formal blocks and sections collapsible,
> but you can also just have a stand-alone expander, like so:
>
> <ui:expander expanded="no">
>  <title>The title is always shown</title>
> </ui:expander>
>
> The problem is that the fallback behavior for tools that don't
> support the extension is a bit weird. It will treat the content
> as normal block content, which is right, but it will encounter
> that extra title element, which isn't generally valid as block
> content.

Understood.

> So I'm thinking of adding a generic div element. It would have
> an optional leading title, so could be used as a no-semantics
> way to do a formal block or a floating title.You could also

use it without a title for grouping. That's potentially useful
> for stuff like conditional processing.

I'm a bit confused here. Could you provide some examples for the,
"no-semantics way . . . " and using it without a title for grouping?

> Then the fallback behavior for unknown block content could be
> changed to something like "if the unknown block element has a
> leading title element, treat it as if the containing element
> were a div".

This sounds fine.

This may have been something that you and Phil were talking about. How would
having the option of including an expander help docs, though? As a
moderately technical user of Mallard, I think this could be clarified a bit
more.

Jim

if you're using gmail, you may need to un-hide some of the text above to see
what I've written.