Referencing glossary entries

Aurélien Naldi <aurelien.naldi at gmail.com>
Fri Jul 8 11:06:26 EDT 2011

Hi Shaun,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been working on a glossaries extension. See my recent blog
> post for more information:
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/shaunm/2011/07/07/mallard-glossaries/
>
> These are dynamic, the Mallard way. Any page can declare terms,
> and glossary pages collect terms from throughout the document.
> There's basic support for filtering and segmenting, so you can
> put only some entries in certain glossary pages or sections.

I saw your post and the new code in git for this but could not get it
to work in my quick tests. Is it any command-line switch (I don't
think so as the new xsl files are included in other ones) or some
trick to use it?
A working example might help getting started, but according to this
message it may just be that you are still working out the details and
it is not yet fully working.

[...]
> Then there's the possibility of using explicit IDs.
>
> <gloss:term id="top_bar"><title>Top bar</title>...</gloss:term>

> This is more to type, but sometimes explicit is good. (We don't
> implicitly make IDs from section titles, for example.) A slight
> downside is that IDs in translated documents will still be in the
> source language. They aren't really exposed to users, except that
> you may see them as a fragment identifier in a URL. But that's no
> different than page and section IDs right now.
>
> So, is being explicit worth the required extra typing?

I think using explicit IDs is better. Does it mean that they only have
to be unique among glossary entries or also among other IDs from their
page?
Maybe a middle ground is possible: allow fully explicit links as you
just proposed but also allow to link using only the ID:

Then the title of the entry can be used as link text for the lazy
among us who know that this title is and will stay properly formatted,
it only adds extra typing in the entry definition, which is fine (the
title could be made optional and be replaced with the ID but it
doesn't fit with the clean state of mallard core).

Regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi