Page style values

Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org>
Sun Dec 18 13:25:23 EST 2011

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 11:13 -0500, IntrosMedia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible at the moment to use values for the 'style' attribute
> on page elements? If it is, what values does it take?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi Felipe,

The style attribute is valid on every Mallard element, including
page. There's no firm specification for what can go in the style
attribute (except that it must match the NMTOKENS data type). It's
intended as a way for authors and processing tools to attach extra
hints. There are some recommended style hints for a few elements,
but they're just suggestions.

If you're using Yelp, it does have special icons for pages based
on the style hint on the page element. Yelp currently recognizes
these style hints, and we'll probably add a couple more:

  problem - A page that helps you troubleshoot a problem
  task - A page with instructions on how to complete a task
  tip - A page with tips or tricks for more experienced users
  ui - A reference page for some UI component, like a dialog
  video - A page whose primary purpose is to hold a demo video

I'm intending to add a style for concept pages, probably calling
it "question" since we tend to do concept pages in the form of
questions in GNOME.

But that's just what Yelp does. You can put any style hints you
want on page elements. There's no guarantee that a processing
tool will do anything with the hints (they are just hints), but
it's still valid. And you can use multiple style hints in a style
attribute, separated by whitespace, like so:

<page xmlns="http://projectmallard.org/1.0/"
      style="advanced-procedure task">

That way, if you have custom build tools, they can match on the
"advanced-procedure" style hint. But Yelp would still match it
as at least a "task" page.

Hope this helps.

--
Shaun