Referencing glossary entries

Aurélien Naldi <aurelien.naldi at gmail.com>
Wed Aug 17 04:46:14 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org> wrote:
[...]
> Right, so you can just define all the terms on the glossary page
> itself, to keep them in one place. There's some flexibility here,
> and I guess it's up to authors to decide what's easier for them
> to maintain.
>
> Now, each entry on a glossary page has both definitions and links
> to pages that declared the term. So if you only declare/define
> terms on the glossary page, you get no links. (You could always
> link inline in the definition, of course.) What you could do is
> do the full definitions on the glossary page, and then declare
> terms on other pages for links.
>
> On the glossary page:
>
> <info>
>  <gloss:term id="mallard">
>    <title>Mallard</title>
>  </gloss:term>
> </info>
>
> Then on any other page you want the glossary entry to link to:
>
> <info>
>  <gloss:term id="mallard"/>
> </info>
>
> Think of glossary terms as miniature guides. Declaring a term
> on a page is then like declaring a guide link.

Hi,

I can confirm that this work great for me: I have a biblio.page file
where all terms are defined (generated from a docbook file), but I
find it a bit cumbersome to define the term in the page info just to
get the backward link.
While I see advantages in being able to pick which pages are
back-linked, it feels unconsistent with other links which always
trigger a backlink.

I would like to have a backlink whenever a page points to a term, even
if it is not defined in the page info. If we do want to avoid
introducing it, an attribute in the reference link could disable it
for this links. Then if another link in the page asks for it or if it
is defined in the page info, the backlink should still be here.
This way, we have full control (in a more intuitive way for me, but
your mileage may vary), and it would be easier to maintain as well:
adding or removing a link do not require to edit the page info or to
check if the link is used on some other part of the page.

PS: while the glossary page works well in the html output, it is empty in yelp.
Version info:

$ dpkg -l | grep yelp
ii  libyelp0                   3.1.2-0ubuntu1
ii  yelp                        3.1.2-0ubuntu1
ii  yelp-tools                3.1.4-0ubuntu2
ii  yelp-xsl                   3.1.3-0ubuntu1

Best regards.

--
Aurélien Naldi