Attributions

Shaun McCance <shaunm at gnome.org>
Thu Apr 21 21:46:02 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 20:16 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> With some CC-by-SA-licensed content, the author requests visible
> attribution. For example, they may request attribution of the original
> author with a link to a page of the original author, as well as a link
> to the original document where the content was found.
>
> What would people recommend for that within mallard. I was thinking of
> enclosing the attribution in a note tag at the bottom of the page, but
> would prefer something more discreet.  What would others suggest?

In Yelp, at least, I do have a plan to show attributes
automatically in a subtle way. Hopefully 3.2. But when
you're distributing Mallard files, you have no way of
being certain that <info> information will be shown.

Just brainstorming here. What if (in Mallard 1.1) we let
<cite> be a full-blown block element? Right now it's just
a special feature of <comment> and <quote>. It might be
a bit weird in those elements, since <cite> could then
appear anywhere.

Alternatively, maybe <cite> can just be allowed at the
end of a page (or section?), not in any general block
content. It could be mixed in with the <links> defs.

Maybe this is over-engineering. Maybe a common style
hint on <note> is all we need. But CC and copyleft and
attribution are important. I don't mind Mallard leaning
a little more strongly towards open collaboration.

--
Shaun